Preschool-5th Grade Swimming Instructor
Swimming for both skill development and pleasure is an integral part of the Bixby educational experience, and has been since our founding.
• In addition to offering developmentally appropriate instruction in water safety and learn-to-swim techniques, our swimming instructor helps to instill sportsmanship and body awareness along with a sense of accomplishment and self-confidence with the goal of giving each child a meaningful physical activity he/she can pursue for the rest of his/her life.
• This is a 9.5 mo. position (32 hr. p/wk., M-F, approx. 9:00 a.m.-3:15 p.m.; with a staff meeting, 3:25-4:30 p.m. every week). Summer day camp work may be available. In addition, our swim instructor is expected to offer parent-paid individual and small group 20-minute swim lessons, two or three days a week, depending upon parent demand, outside of scheduled work time.
• The swim instructor reports to the Head of School.
Responsibilities and Skills:
• Modeling the Bixby mission of respect, lifelong learning, and self-reflection
• This job has an important element of customer service and providing this is a priority. Professional, warm, open, and transparent communication is key
• Addressing children and adults in a calm, respectful manner, always
• Planning and effectively offering safe, developmentally appropriate (based on age, experience, and current ability) water safety and swimming instruction/activities for our children utilizing Bixby’s on-site, indoor, bromine-based pool
• Teaching using positive encouragement and clearly stated goals for the day, in light of Bixby’s mission and core beliefs of respect, responsibility, and empathy
• Managing children’s behavior in a problem solving, responsive manner with a focus on growth and learning, and including working collaboratively with administrators as needed to accomplish this
• Working collaboratively with deck and in-pool teachers there to support the creation of a safe, supportive learning environment
• Reaching out/responding to parents in a courteous, professional manner, and keeping the Elementary, Early Childhood, Summer Program/After School Directors and Head of School informed as needed
• Following health, safety, and sanitation expectations and regulations which maintain our licensing status and stellar safety record including teaching/modeling how to prepare for class and safely transition from one activity to the next, keeping the area free of hazards, and maintaining line of sight supervision
• Maintaining the good repair and cleanliness of the pool, changing room, and deck areas and the safe operation of the boiler room, including informing the Facilities Director of any needed repairs in writing in a prompt manner
• Fully participating in the after school staff meetings, which involves being prepared to discuss the students in terms of their strengths, challenges, and your strategies for their growth, along with any other professional development opportunities made available with the goal of fostering your own professional growth and collegiality
• Recognizing and responding effectively in emergencies in accordance with facility emergency action plans
• Obtaining/maintaining, in a timely manner, the necessary certifications to operate a pool and swimming program and to be a staff member of the school – CPO, WSI, Life Guard, First Aid, CPR/AED, and any other trainings/certifications deemed necessary by the school and local/state laws and regulations.
• Enjoys spending time and engaging with young children
• Bixby is a community in which continual professional growth is expected; willingness to “stretch” is critical to job success
• Dependable, responsible, and patient
• Willing and able to follow instructions, ask questions, learn from mistakes, and collaborate
• Grooming and hygiene suitable for working with children, staff, and parents
• Must be at least 18 years old
• A background check is required
• Graduation from high school or equivalent is required
• Current certifications as a Wafer Safety Instructor (WSI) and Certified Pool Operator (CPO) are required
• Current certification in First Aid/CPR/Universal Precautions and/or Wilderness Responder is preferred
• Experience working with children in a paid or volunteer capacity is required
• Experience operating a pool and leading a swimming program is preferred
• Experience working in an after school or childcare program is a plus
• Able to continuously walk and/or stand for at least 5 hours, in and out of doors; possibly some light running in an emergency
• Able to do fine and gross motor movements related to teaching swimming
• Frequent bending or stooping, and reaching above shoulder level
• Ability to routinely perform light lifting of 1-20 lbs., with occasional moderate lifting of 21-60 lbs., infrequently, lifting more than 61 lbs.
• Frequently pushes or pulls objects up to 60 lbs., with occasional pushing or pulling of objects over 61 lbs.
• Frequent climbing of stairs, and possibly some use of step stools and ladders
Please submit your resume to Beth Suitor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bixby School provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran.