1st-5th Grade Spanish Teacher (part-time)
Bixby School seeks an active, joyful, knowledgeable educator to be our next Spanish teacher and join our team of bright, collaborative professional learners.
Mission & Setting:
Bixby School serves preschool through elementary level children and their families by integrating academic, artistic, physical and social development in a small community setting. We offer a dynamic and student-centered education that strives to make the most of each student’s intellectual passions and creative interests. Our mission is to cultivate critical thinking; promote independence and self-confidence; instill empathy, respect and responsibility; and inspire a love of learning. Situated on three acres in beautiful Boulder, CO, Bixby School has been a place for children, families, and staff to discover, learn, and thrive since 1970.
- The 1st-5th grade Spanish teacher is responsible for understanding and implementing Bixby’s mission and core beliefs as they relate to developing and providing an inviting, innovative, stimulating Spanish program.
- This is a part-time (20-24 hours p/week or .5-.6 FTE) position.
- Instructional class size is approximately 6-10 students p/section.
- The teacher reports to the K-5 Director and the Head of School.
- Identifying and selecting instructional resources, tools, and technology leading to the development of lessons/units for an inviting, innovative, stimulating Spanish program, including: studying the language, as well as learning about the variety of Spanish speaking cultures, their histories, and art, literature, and inventions, resulting in more globally aware learners able to engage in conversational Spanish.
- Providing an engaging, supportive, interactive learning environment for students with a variety of learning approaches, gifts, and needs. Project-based, experiential, and/or authentic learning units suit our students and setting well.
- Collaborating with colleagues on interdisciplinary units several times a year.
- Engaging in effective, developmentally appropriate classroom routines and responses using positive behavior and discipline strategies that encourage the growth of respect, responsibility and empathy.
- Evaluating each student’s progress regularly to ensure each student’s growth.
- Using a variety of assessment vehicles, possibly including: producing journals/blogs/videos, giving presentations/performances, or creating art.
- Providing regular verbal and written feedback on progress to students and their parents; in particular, completing the Fall Checklist, the Rubric of Student Growth, the End of Year Report, and adding artifacts to each student’s Portfolio of Work.
- Building relationships with parents via blog posts and contributions to the Bixby News, responding to emails in a timely and professional manner, participating in key school events, and having a time when available for conversations.
- Fostering collegial, productive relationships with all colleagues, and ongoing communication with the K-5 Director and Head of School.
- Engaging in on and off site professional development with a focus on best practices, progressive education, language acquisition, classroom management, and other identified goals for professional growth.
- Actively participating in staff meetings, in-service days, Back-to-School Night, Portfolio Night, and other special activities that include the teaching staff.
- Modeling ethical and professional behavior, including following the policies and practices as described in the Bixby Employee Handbook, especially regarding health, safety, and discipline, as well as applicable county and state requirements.
- Keeping timely and accurate attendance and academic records.
- Maintaining the room and its resources, and getting expenditure approval before repairing or ordering items.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A college degree is required.
- A current Colorado teaching license is preferred.
- An endorsement as a Spanish teacher is a plus.
- Being a fluent Spanish speaker and writer is a requirement; a native speaker is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with elementary-aged children is a requirement.
- Training in and demonstrated experience with teaching Spanish, or equivalent professional experience is a requirement.
- Demonstrated experience with organizing, planning, assessing learning is a requirement.
- A capacity for engagement and collaboration is essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Experience with computers (Apple) and cloud-based computing is essential.
- An understanding of/passion for progressive education is a plus.
- Able to continuously walk, stand, sit throughout the shift.
- Frequent bending or stooping, and reaching above shoulder level.
- Ability to routinely perform light lifting of 1-20 lbs., with occasional moderate lifting, pushing or pulling of 21-60 lbs.
Bixby School provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran.
Letter of interest, resume, three current references. Send your materials to Elizabeth Hubert, K-5 Academic Director, email@example.com or 4760 Table Mesa Drive, Boulder, CO, 80305. Open until filled. A background and reference check will be completed for any applicants being considered for employment.