“I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” ~ Breneé Brown
One of my greatest joys is the practice of simple rituals with my family. Indeed the practice of ritual is ubiquitous among people around the globe and over the years (this article has some interesting insights into why). My family does not have many rituals but one of my favorites occurs at Thanksgiving. Before we start our dinner (followed by my husband’s super-delicious chocolate pecan pie), we all take a few minutes to share one thing for which we are grateful. In that spirit of giving thanks, I want to share a few of the reasons why I am deeply grateful to the Bixby community. I am grateful for….
- A Bixby education that re-ignited a love of learning in my son
- The faculty and staff who demonstrate love and attention to, and inspire learning for, our students
- Each and every one of our students, who challenge, inspire and entertain me every day
- Bixby parents who trust us as partners in the vulnerable journey of “parenting”
- The Board of Trustees for selflessly dedicating their time, talent and treasure to the people and future of this school
- Pat and Bart for seeing what was possible in education and making it come to life
- The Bixby alumni and their families who share with me how strong a foundation a Bixby education provides for living a full and purposeful life
- My family for supporting me in a career that I love
For all of these reasons and more, I am deeply grateful to be part of Bixby, and because I am grateful I have pledged to dedicate 5% of my annual salary towards the 2019 Annual Fund. Thank you for joining me!
Head of School